Letters of complaint require professional presentation. Legitimate complaints cannot elicit a sympathetic response if the recipient does not understand the complaint.
It is important to write the letter when emotions have calmed down. A clear and concise letter presenting grievances in a logical manner will maximize the chances of receiving successful redress.
Tips for Writing Your Complaint Letter
- Remember that businesses and individuals usually want to clear up problems quickly, and keep customers happy. So, keep the tone as friendly as possible.
- Find and contact the individual who has the authority to do something about your problem. Be sure to use the correct spelling of the contact's name, his/her title, and the complete address. Insert this information according to the proper format, as well as an appropriate greeting.
- Keep your letter short and to the point.
- Include all details that are relevant to your specific complaint, and exclude details that are not.
- Keep the original complaint letter, and send out copies. Keep all correspondence from your end and letters you receive from the other party/parties involved.
- Give the other party time to respond, but follow up with another letter if you do not receive a response after a month.
By keeping these tips in mind, you will be on your way to writing a complaint letter that will get results.
Letter of Complaint Example
“On March 31, I purchased a 52-inch plasma television from your store. The salesperson, James Jones, assured me that professional installation was included in the sale price and I could expect installation within two days of delivery.
As of April 6, no installation had taken place. I contacted your store that day at 11:30 a.m. and spoke to Rose Jarvis. She stated the reason I had not heard from anyone was because it was my responsibility to call and arrange for an installation. She told me there was a $200 installation charge if personnel from your store installed the unit.
This was not what the salesperson, James Jones, told me upon purchase.
I contacted Mr. Jones to intercede on my behalf. His responded that I had misunderstood him and claimed he never said installation would be free and that only professional installation was available.
I purchased this unit with free installation confirmed. If I had known there was an installation charge, I would have purchased my television set from another retail outlet.
Please contact me at 999-999-9999 so that we may resolve this matter.”