WhiteSmoke Privacy Statement
Thank you for visiting WhiteSmoke Software Ltd's. (“WhiteSmoke”) website (the “Site”). Your privacy is important to us. To better protect your privacy, we provide this notice (the “Policy”) which applies to information provided or collected through this Site located at www.whitesmoke.com and in connection with WhiteSmoke's various services and software products (collectively, "Services").
The Information We Collect.
We receive and store any information you enter on our website or give us in any other way (for example, through surveys, questionnaires, information provided at registration and in the course of other communications with us). This includes information that can identify you (“personal information”).
When you register as a user of WhiteSmoke, you voluntarily provide information about yourself (such as name and e-mail address). In addition, when you use WhiteSmoke software or Services, the documents, text and information transmitted to us for analysis and correction is transferred to our servers, and this information may include personal information.
The amount of personally identifying information you provide is up to you, and you are not obligated to provide such information. However, your use of the Site or the Services may be affected if such information is not provided.
You may provide information on behalf of another entity. If you completed the registration or provide information on behalf of a certain entity, you represent to us that you were authorized by that entity to give us consent to use the submitted information.
We also may collect certain non-personally identifying information when you visit our Site or use the Services, such as your IP address, the type of browser you are using, the type of operating system you are using and access times. We also may collect information about your online activity. We may use third party contractors to collect and aggregate this information. For more information, please see Cookies and other technologies.
The Site and Services are directed to a general audience and we do not offer services directed to children. If we gain actual knowledge that a child under the age of 13 has provided any personal information to us, we will immediately delete this information.
Surveys or Contests. We may provide you, from time to time, the opportunity to participate in contests or surveys on our Web site. If you participate, we will request certain personally identifiable information from you. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose this information. The requested information typically includes contact information (such as name and shipping address), and demographic information (such as zip code).
Customer Testimonials. We post customer testimonials on the site which may contain personal information. We do obtain the customers’ consent via e-mail prior to posting the testimonial to post their name along with their testimonial. To request removal of your personal information from our testimonials, contact us at email@example.com. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
How We Use the Information.
We and our affiliates may use personal information provided to us to as follows:
- To enable us to verify your credentials, in order to maintain reasonable security, provide developers with the information that is useful in developing new features and services for our users, allow us to potentially vary advertising based on user preference, usage preferences and demographics, enable us to develop and improve the features, contents, and services available, fulfill your requests for our products and Services, in connection with your use of the Site or Services, to respond to your inquiries about our offerings, to offer you our products or services that we believe may be of interest to you, to carry out transactions which you have requested, to enforce our rights and resolve disputes.
- We will retain information transmitted to us in the context of use of Services (such as documents or text transmitted to us for analysis and correction) for further internal use in connection with our efforts to improve our Services and products.
- Newsletters: If you wish to subscribe to our newsletter(s), we will use your name and e-mail address to send the newsletter to you. Out of respect for your privacy, we provide you a way to unsubscribe by following the unsubscribe link located at the bottom of each newsletter communication or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We may use non-personally identifying information that we collect to provide statistical information about users of the Site or Services, to improve the quality, design and content of our Site, to analyze the use of our Site and to cooperate with law enforcement.
Information Sharing and Disclosure.
- Business partners with whom we may jointly offer products or services, or whose products or services may be offered on our website or together with our software. You can tell when a third party is involved in a product or service because their name will appear, either alone or with ours. If you choose to use these products or services, we may share information about you, including your personal information, with those partners. Please note that we do not control the privacy practices of these third-party business partners. If you wish to no longer allow that third party to use your information you may opt-out by contacting that third party directly.
- Referring websites. If you were referred to this website from another site (for example, through a link you clicked on another site that directed you to this one), we may share some information about you with that referring website. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any website that referred you here.
We may share aggregated or anonymous data with third parties for any use whatsoever.
We also may share your information:
- In response to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process or in response to a law enforcement agency’s request; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- When we believe it is appropriate to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal or suspected illegal activities; to protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of our company or this website, our customers, or others; and in connection with our Terms and Conditions for the Site, End User License Agreements for our Software and other agreements.
- In the event that Whitesmoke goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, your personally identifiable information will likely be among the assets transferred.
Other than as set out above, you will be notified when personal information about you will be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to have us share such information. WhiteSmoke does not sell, rent or lease the personal information that you provide about yourself to third parties unless we have your consent.
We also may share aggregate or anonymous information with third parties without restriction.
Cookies and other technologies
- To help us recognize your browser as a previous visitor and save and remember any preferences that may have been set while your browser was visiting our site.
- To help measure and research the effectiveness of website features and offerings, advertisements, and email communications (by determining which emails you open and act upon).
The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies, you may not be able to access certain of the functionality of Site or Services. We do not link the information we store in cookies to any personally identifiable information you submit while on our site.
Clear Gifs (Web Beacons/Web Bugs)
Our third party advertising partner employs a software technology called clear gifs (a.k.a. Web Beacons/Web Bugs), that help us better manage content on our site by informing us what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Web users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on Web pages and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. We do not tie the information gathered by clear gifs to our customer’s personally identifiable information.
Our Commitment to Security. Physical and electronic procedures have been put into place to safeguard and help prevent unauthorized access, maintain data security, and correctly use personal information. These include use of firewalls, passwords and other measures.
Although we take measures we believe are appropriate to safeguard against unauthorized disclosures of information, we cannot assure you that personally identifiable information that we collect will never be disclosed in a manner that is inconsistent with this Policy. Regardless of the precautions taken by you or by us, “perfect security” does not exist on the Internet. We cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you transmit such information at your own risk.
When you enter sensitive information such as credit card number on our order form, our merchant services providers encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
We are not responsible for any collection or use of information in connection with third party software, sites or services.
Correcting or Updating your Information. WhiteSmoke allows you to view the information you provided during registration and to alter any data, inaccuracies or errors. To request such access, or correct, update, or amend your personal information please contact us at the following e-mail address, postal address or telephone number:
E-mail address: email@example.com
501 Silverside Road, Suite 105
Wilmington, DE 19089
Telephone number: 1-888-741-7193
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services, please contact us at the e-mail address, postal address, or telephone number listed above. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
If you choose to use the Plagiarism Checking Service in any of our solutions, the text you enter will be searched against an online database. This database is maintained by our partners and text may be retained in their systems. Only text entered in the Plagiarism search will be forwarded, without any additional information about the user.
Information Posted in Public Forums
If you use the blog on this site, you should be aware that any personally identifiable information you submit there can be read, collected, or used by other users of these blogs and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in these blogs.
To request removal of your personal information from our blogs or community forums, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
How to Contact Us. If you have any questions or concerns about this Policy you may contact us at:
501 Silverside Road, Suite 105
Wilmington, DE 19809
Telephone number: 1-888-741-7193